Monday, March 10, 2008

March Newsletter

RUNNING FOR A REASON / COURIR POUR UNE CAUSE

March/mars 2008



Training chronicles


Spring has sprung, or has it?


The days are getting longer and warmer…

Lately, when I step out the door for my Sunday morning runs, it is still pitch black outside, but within thirty minutes, the sun rises, and quickly. I no longer need my lights once I hit the halfway mark, and sometimes the low sun is almost blinding when it shines just above the tree line.

For three weeks now, my routine of prepping the night before my long runs has failed me. On Saturday night, I listen to the weather forecast and lay out the appropriate gear based on that information. These past few weeks, the forecast has been warmer weather and for highs in the plus range. As a result, I forego the mid-layer and only have the base layer under my windbreaker. My tuque is replaced by my Team in Training ball cap and I switch my FuelBelt from the inside to the outside of my jacket.

The problem is that the range in temperature variation is also getting larger. When I start out my runs, it is still wintery cold. So cold that my fingers get numb within minutes, my IPod earphone wires get rigid and the buds keep falling out of my ears, and my Gatorade freezes solid in the bottle within 30 minutes…on the other hand, by the time I reach the 20 km mark, my core temperature is high enough that my fingertips are actually releasing vapour through my gloves and I have to unzip my jacket a little bit. On the home stretch, I am doing my hill sprints in spring like conditions, the snowy roads are starting to feel a little slushy under my feet, and the birds are chirping away as if they are cheering for me on my dashes up Fairhaven hill.

So this week I learned my lesson, the FuelBelt stayed inside my jacket and I brought my sunglasses along for the eastbound leg of my run. Now it is just a question of time before the sweet smell of spring also appears…


Cancer bytes


Leukemia is the general term used to describe four different types of blood cancers. The ways that individuals with leukemia are affected and treated and the rate at which the disease progresses, are different with each type of leukemia. The different disease-types are called:


Fun facts


The origins of the marathon – excerpts from Wikipedia


The marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometers (26 miles 385 yards) that is usually run as a road race. The event is named after the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens.

Pheidippides, a Greek soldier, was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the Senate, exclaiming "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won') before collapsing and dying of exhaustion.[2]

When the idea of a modern Olympics became a reality at the end of the 19th century, the initiators and organizers were looking for a great popularizing event, recalling the ancient glory of Greece. The idea of organizing a marathon race came from Michel Bréal, who wanted the event to feature in the first modern Olympic Games in 1896 in Athens.

The length of a marathon was not fixed at first, since the only important factor was that all athletes competed on the same course. In 1924, the length of the standard marathon then became standardized at 42.195 km (26 miles 385 yards or 26 732 miles).


Research corner

March 4, 2008 (Research Reports) -


Fundraising / Levée de fonds


Ultima

En partenariat avec Aérobie Spa Gym et Planet Foods, je vends maintenant du Ultima Sports Recovery drink. C’est le parfait breuvage pour après l’entraînement – sans sucre et plein d’électrolytes. Faites le plein avec ULTIMA. SVP m’appeler pour en commander (disponible en sachets individuels et en contenants de 30 et 90 portions).


P.I.N.K.

Les bijoux P.I.N.K. sont également disponibles. Offrez un beaux bracelet à quelqu’un et supportez la cause en même temps. SVP me contacter pour en savoir plus sur les différents modèles disponibles.




Donating / Comment Faire un Don

There are 3 ways to make a donation:

· Online by credit card on my secure web site: : http://www.active.com/donate/tntmon/Pressoir

· By credit card by faxing the enclosed donation form to 514.875.2657 to the attention of: Janet Lough

· By mail, send a check payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada along with enclosed donation form to the following address::

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada – Montréal Branch

Attn: Janet Lough 1255 University, Suite 1608

MTL, QC H3B 3X2

Pour effectuer un don 3 options vous sont offertes :

· Par carte de crédit sur mon site web sécuritaire : http://www.active.com/donate/tntmon/Pressoir

· Par carte de crédit en faxant le formulaire de don ci-joint au 514.875.2657 à l’attention de : Janet Lough

· Par la poste en faisant parvenir un chèque à l’ordre de La Société de leucémie et lymphome du Canada accompagné du formulaire ci-joint à l’adresse suivante :

La Société de leucémie et de lymphome du Canada – Montréal Branch

Attn: Janet Lough 1255 rue Université,

Suite 1608

MTL, QC H3B 3X2



Contact info :

Patrick Pressoir

514-873-7414

www.active.com/donate/tntmon/Pressoir

No comments: